Monday, January 25, 2010

Free Airport Wireless

I should note that I hate the word "wifi." It's too cute/clever for my taste. In my circle, if you say "wireless", you mean 802.11b/g/n wireless internet access, so I just use the term wireless.

Denver has free wireless. Of course, you get banner ads; someone is paying, there's no such thing as a free lunch, etc.

Still, it's great. I don't have to log onto a service, see if my plan is compatible, wonder if it's worth paying, gawk at the ridiculous price and bizarre options (who wants 24-hours at an airport? sure, it happens, but it's usually not planned).

Like many of my peers, I use the internet to get work done. I need to communicate, and I need access to, ahem, resources. My sister, btw, who took my photo, thinks that it's really neat that I have (in theory, at least) access to the eighth (?) fastest computer in the world. I have other resources, too, and since my work (data mining, clustering, etc. - continuing the major themes of my dissertation) is data heavy, I can't really bring all of my data aroudn with me. It's easier to leave it in a place where I can computer to my heart's content.

I would really, really love to:
  • Kick off a job on a server while still at home
  • Catch a cab to the airport and sail effortlessly through security
  • Get some programming/analysis done on the flight
  • Land
  • Connect back to my server and find the status of the job and/or result
Someday, perhaps, I will achieve this dream. I just don't like to waste time.

No comments:

Post a Comment