Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Asus eee PC Netbook!

My netbook has arrived. It's tiny, and the claimed battery life is immense. We'll see. There are a few nice things:
* It's tiny and light
* Screen seems excellent
* Faster than I thought it might be
* No crashing so far
* Excellent trackpad
* HD is partitioned, making it exceptionally easy to install Fedora (tomorrow)

Problems:
* Keyboard will take some getting used to
* The trackpad button is an engineering failure; it's just plain hard to push
* The neat thing about the trackpad, that it's just a textured surface, takes getting used to
* Windows 7, um, sucks, UI-wise, at least for a novice
* On top of that, Windows 7, and MS applications in general, make exceedingly poor use of screen real estate; this is not so good on 1024x600
* I want old-style "Windows Classic" start bar. I didn't like the XP start bar, but I could switch it back (and always did). I am glad that they kept the Windows Classic theme
* Why does Windows 7 (and MacOS, for that matter) let you set up NTP, but won't allow you to sync? It happens "on a schedule"...
* Even with the Atom N450, it's not exactly a powerhouse of a machine, but you make sacrifices for battery life and portability
* I cannot, for the life of me, determine if the Atom N450 is x64 (e.g., compliant with x86-64). In other words, can I install a 64-bit OS? The pre-configured install is a 32-bit Windows 7 starter
* Bizarrely, the model number is nowhere to be found on the actual machine

More thoughts will come as I get used to the thing. No excellent resources so far on the Windows side, but there's excellent info on getting Linux running. I would run Ubuntu, but we use Fedora at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment