Thursday, April 8, 2010

More on My Netbook

It took forever to get Linux installed. The first problem was getting my Asus to rad from a USB boot device. The whole idiotic partitioning scheme took probably an hour to solve. Essentially, you can only have 4 primary partitions, but what must be a primary partition is not clear. So I made my second and third linux partitions (/home and swap) as part of an extended partition.

Now begins the fun of:
a. running Windows
b. updating everything
c. installing software

Overall, I love the package. However, it's sloooooooooow.

The Asus has an Intel Atom N450 processor, which exchanges performance for low power use. As that's the big purpose of a netbook, it's not surprising, but installing and configuring seems to take longer than I'd like. For example, I want to install a licensed copy of Office 2007. I downloaded it from the work repository, and then I have to uninstall the free trial (which left behind several language packs that have to be uninstalled separately, and now in a foreign language, so screw it). I've never liked the installation process on Windows.

I'm still happy; it's just that my happiness is increasing slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment