Thursday, April 22, 2010

Even More About the Netbook

So after a couple of weeks with the netbook, I'm quite satisfied.

Some thoughts:
1. The keyboard is awkward, but not terribly so. It's usable, just take some adjustment. I have a chiclet keyboard on all of the other computers I use, so it's really just a size issue. If you hate chiclet keyboards (think: keys are separate, and there are space between the keys), then consider a different option.
2. Performance is mediocre if you do lots of media. HTML/JPEG rendering is fine, but video taxes the machine, and HD video is unplayable (literally, it won't play).
3. I'm using Linux as a principal OS for the first time in a while. I really am impressed with the quality of Ubuntu (in this case). I really am not sure why anyone would use Windows. I haven't booted into Windows in a few days, although I don't anticipate blowing away that partition. I need Windows to run iTunes, I suppose. I need tuneranger, or some other tool to sync my iTunes library.
4. Battery life is unbelievable. I charge this thing less often than my phone. Now, it's NOT my principal machine, except on the road. However, I carry it around as much as is useful. Incidentally, I'm NOT writing this on my netbook. Hmm...
5. Perfect for the cafe lifestyle. I will probably work at a cafe tomorrow, and am actually looking forward. I'll probably bring my mouse.
6. The touchpad is useful, but not great. Actually, the touchpad is very good (although of course small). I prefer edge scrolling to two-finger scrolling, and it supports both (under Linux!). The touchpad itself isn't exactly a separate surface; it's a nubbly region of the same material as the wrist-rest. Oh, and touch-to-click works well. The problem is the button; they've used one long surface for the button, rather than two separate buttons, and it takes a little too much effort to both position my thumb and to press.

I had planned on purchasing a new MacBook Pro, but I like the 13" form-factor, and that size didn't exactly get a real processor upgrade. There are some good articles (macrumors|tuaw|artechnica) on why, but the nutshell is that Apple went for the typical user, who watches a lot of video and doesn't compile much. So for now, no

No comments:

Post a Comment